Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Take It Back- You've Got Extra Time To Get Your Studs Off

Studded tire users got a reprieve today. Due to the threat of more severe winter weather forecast for the Cascade mountain range, Washington State Department of Transportation officials extended the deadline to remove studded tires through April 10.

Drivers must remove their studded tires by 12:01 a.m., Sunday April 11.

Washington State Patrol troopers enforce a $124 fine for those who use studded tires after the deadline. No one can guarantee ice and snow-free roadways, so WSDOT encourages drivers, especially those heading into the higher elevations, to plan ahead and drive for conditions.

Someone asked if people actually did put studs on their cars this year, and I've heard from at least one other person who did. So that makes two that I personally know of.

Do you guys know anyone who put studs on their vehicle this year?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had them on one of our cars the whole winter (also bought a snow blower based on last season's snow).

It made me wonder if the streets are going to be in worse condition this year if in fact, many people drove their studded tires around town directly on the pavement as we did. :(

SRTC Staff said...

At least you recognize the potential for damage. My neighbor and I go round and round about studs. He swears they don't do any damage and puts them on as soon as he can and takes them off as late as he can.

Not said...

My vehicle (as defined by RCW) is a bicycle, and I put studs on it this winter.
- Ventura

SRTC Staff said...

You get a pass Ventura. I don't think you're doing TOO much damage to the roads.

Barb Chamberlain said...

My older daughter had her studs on all winter because just as it was getting cold one of her regular tires gave up the ghost. Studs postponed the budget hit (her budget) of getting a new tire.

I shuddered every time I heard her or any other driver grinding past me as I biked to work on the bare, dry roads.

@BarbChamberlain

SRTC Staff said...

I've been there Barb. I remember doing the same thing when I was in college. I had a 1988 convertible VW Rabbit (before they were called Cabriolets) that had completely bald tires going into the winter quarter. I could either buy books or tires, so I chose books and asked for tires as a Christmas gift.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.