Monday, January 12, 2009

Letter Writer Says Side Streets Neglected

Spokesman-Review Letters To The Editor
Even out the plowing

Everyone is struggling with driving at this time — and the plows are not much help. I am on my third try with chains and I don’t mean cheap ones.
More than one source has confirmed what I thought to be the problem. Why are some streets, Division, Ash, etc., gone over and over to the point of being perfectly clear while side streets are left barely passable? They brag that the main arterials are clear so people can get around.
Right. Are we supposed to have our vehicles towed from the ignored streets to those taking priority? That’s the dilemma they’re causing, because chains are not made for bare pavement, and that’s what we have to contend with.
When the storms attack to the max, please take the time to keep all streets the way the side streets look when they’re finally reached. Chains will then serve their purpose!

Pam Billington
Spokane


What's your thoughts? It's important to have the arterials clear, but do you feel they were kept too clear, at the expense to side streets?

3 comments:

Charles said...

Three sets of chains?? I never used any chains this year, but I did snowblow from my driveway down the alley and out onto the street. From there I could go north or south to the nearest arterial. I don't think they concentrated on the arterials too much, but the intersections of the side streets and the arterials is where they need to concentrate more on. In dry weather I go east and west on the side streets more, but they were nearly impassible with parked cars.

SRTC Staff said...

I thought three sets of chains is excessive as well, but I have four wheel drive so I guess I'm not one to judge. The parked cars were definetely a problem. There were times when I was just able to scrape by. It was the same story in my neighborhood where we had to park on the street, but we actually went out and each shoveled a place for our cars so they weren't sticking out into the road.

Charles said...

I think they need to do something about the parked cars, in our block there is on that still has not moved since the first snow and a tent trailer just emerging from the snow berm, and those people that park on the wrong side of the street 3 feet from the berm so they can open the left door should get a ticket. Some people did shovel a place to park but most just left their cars there to get plowed in.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.