Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bike Commuting While Pregnant- Safe Or Risky?

Most people who know me know I'm pretty squeamish about pregnancy, so here's a topic I never expected to discuss on this blog: should pregnant women continue to bike commute? My first reaction was no, they should be hidden away out of the site of the non-pregnant public. I have to admit that's not fair though. This thread on the 'Bike Commute Tips Blog' by author Paul Dorn says bicycle commuting can be a particularly healthy activity for expectant mothers, even up to the week before giving birth.

He emphasizes that pregnancy is definetely a time when women need to use caution in their physical exertion, but says bicycling is among the best exercise a woman can choose because of it's smooth motion and it doesn't require lifting or jumping, and you can choose your level of exertion.

So read the article and let me know if you, your spouse, or a friend commuted by bike while pregnant.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I did some light commuting while pregnant (never more than 5 miles in a go, never at very fast speeds, never up very steep hills). People were so worried, but really there was nothing to worry about! I felt comfortable with my ability to balance and never, ever fell. The only difficulty I faced was having to stick my knees out a bit sideways when my belly started to get really big, but I was still riding up until a few weeks before I gave birth too!
I also had a fairly upright ride, I don't think I would have fared too well on a bike with traditional geometry and drop handlebars, but that's kind of obvious!

The only other thing I can think that may be a problem is overheating in the summer, but that's just as easy to do with any other activity out in the heat, and a pregnant mama is going to know right away when she starts to overheat because she'll be pretty miserable!

I agree, bicycling while pregnant is excellent exercise and if more woman did it, the general public may not be so squeamish about it anymore.



The real dilemma I faced was after my baby was born. I could not think of any safe way to transport a newborn on a bicycle (I did worry about falling with a baby strapped to my chest because it wouldn't have the same protections it did in the womb, and a trailer would have been far to bumpy), plus I was not in a very good state for much physical activity for several months postpartum... so I had to go back to the car until the following spring.

KMPO Staff said...

Thanks for the comment Rachel! I bet it freaked people out to see you nine months pregnant riding a bike. It never occured to me that you can't ride with a newborn (I have absolutely no maternal instinct, if I had a child I probably would have tried it). Hmmm... maybe there's a product out there begging to be built for newborn bicycle transport. Or does someone already know of one?

vanillajane said...

Maybe they could put better shocks on the bike trailers and do the back facing position for newborns.

In any case, it would be more than nervewracking to know you have a newborn in a trailer.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.