Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Anyone Drive The NSC Yet?

KXLY News had a live report last night saying that not many people are using the North Spokane Corridor. I checked their website but couldn't find the video of the story, just a print piece saying the freeway is open, the speed limit is 60 miles per hour, etc. etc.

What I'm wondering is, are people not used to it being open yet so they're not utilizing it? It's only day 4 of the stretch of freeway being open, so is that too soon to expect much capacity on it? Also, is it just too short of a stretch to bother with at this point? It's only 3.5 miles, which at 60 mph means you'd only be on it for about 3 minutes before having to get back off.

I haven't driven the NSC yet so let me know if you have and what your impression was.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wacky

Rachel said...

The NSC is rather out of my way, so I didn't take it yesterday when I went up to Greenbluff.
I live in West central, so for me to go all the way over to Freya just to go back up to Highway 2... is silly.

I did try to look for where the NSC comes in to Hwy 2, both on my way out of town and on my way in, and couldn't figure it out. Perhaps it is not very visible if you don't know exactly where to look?

SRTC Staff said...

I live in the valley so don't make it that far up north very often. I was up there on Saturday but with everything going on you couldn't actually drive on it yet.

The NSC doesn't actually meet up with Highway 2 yet, it falls just short because it ends at Farwell, a couple blocks short of 2, so that makes sense you couldn't see the tie-in.

Here's a map. It makes it bigger if you click on it.

vanillajane said...

Hey, SRTC Staff:

Didn't you "drive" your bike on the bike path portion of the NSC? I think that counts.

So... How was the ride?

Anonymous said...

I'm in Hillyard and I drove it yesterday. Nice road and it will be cool when it's done. Right now it pretty much goes from nowhere to nowhere. Once it links up to 395 I will probably use it quite a bit.

SRTC Staff said...

Yes, I said the DOT knows how to party, but they don't get that crazy. And if they do, they kept the beer garden a secret from me. Probably worried about me sucking up all their free beer :)


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.