Monday, September 21, 2009

Letter Writer Complains About I90 Repairs

Spokesman-Review Letters to the Editor
Highway work half done

We spent $8.1 million resurfacing Interstate 90. Then why not fix the joints at the overpasses? I-90 eastbound at the S curve at Hamilton Street, the first joint is a small bump, the second you can really notice, the third almost tears the wheels off my pickup.

They go in there and weld up the bridges every year or so, then put a big blob patch on top of it so the traffic then pounds the repair to dust in a few short months. Then they repair it again and reblob it. Maybe if they smoothed it over and did like a professional repair on the surface the joints would last longer, and so would my pickup.

They resurfaced the bridge on I-90 at Four Lakes but missed the exit 270 off ramp for Four Lakes-Cheney that needs a resurface. They told me they would do that last year but it’s still all potholes and broken and uneven pavement. Guess we’re lucky to have even that.

Norm Ellefson
Cheney


I hadn't noticed the rough ride over the joints. Has anyone else? I go over that stretch everyday, but traffic is usually at a crawl at that point so I might not notice it at low speeds. And I'm usually on the bus, stuck in the nightly backup at Hamilton Street.

No comments:


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.