Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Couple Ideas For Area Bus Stops

Got an old defunct bus and a bus stop with no shelter at it? We may have a love match! Designer Christopher Fennel is making bus shelters out of old buses. Here's more pictures and information on his one-man movement to provide cool, recycled bus shelters.

And while we're on the subject of bus stops, I'm using this platform to launch my campaign to place burn barrels at bus stops. This is actually Jeff's idea but I'm running with it. It's only November, but when we were waiting for the bus last night, we passed the time by complaining how cold it is. Jeff mentioned how great it would be if we had a burn barrel to stand over while waiting for the bus and- wa la- an idea was hatched. So what do you think, are you behind me on this?

2 comments:

Charles said...

Wow a great use for old buses. I see the city is talking about bus shelters to go along with the new bus benches. That will not be any warmer, but out of the wind at least. I remember standing in front of the Seafirst Building waiting for the bus as the snow swirled around in the plaza in front of the Seafirst building, so I was soo happy when they finished the Plaza they have now, it was warm and dry.

SRTC Staff said...

I know the downtown businesses don't like the Plaza because of the clientele that ends up hanging around in that area, but for people like you and I it can be great. I like it because when the bus drops me off in the morning, I can get into the skywalk system on days when it's rainy or super cold and get within a block of my work without going outside. The closest the bus comes is six block from our building, and that can be a miserable walk outside on those days when it's raining cats and dogs or those days when it's below zero.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.