Thursday, May 13, 2010

Is That A Dead Possum Or Is There A Small Dog Around Your Neck?

Looks like I can call off my campaign to get my dog on the bus. When I got on the bus this morning, I noticed a woman was wearing what appeared to be a coat with a large fake fur collar. Since it's so warm I was wondering why, until the collar moved. That's right, it was a small dog draped around her neck that looked much like the one in the picture. I tried to take a picture of it but with the bus moving I couldn't get a decent photo.

I have no problem with it, but was curious if this is acceptable, so emailed the fine folks at STA when I got into the office. I didn't mention it in my email, but the woman DID have a carrier with her that she put the dog in when she got off the bus, so I'm assuming it was also in the carrier when she got on the bus. The reply I received was this:

Technically only service animals are allowed on the bus and not in a cage. So, it depends on the driver if they ask if it is a service animal. Check it out though on our website. What's posted there is that you cant "allow an animal to run at large or sit on a seat" and "Animals (except service animals) must be in a carrier that fits under the seat or on your lap."

In my reply I suggested that they craft some language forbidding small, very hairy dogs to be worn as accessories.

No comments:


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.