Friday, October 22, 2010

Some Odds & Ends On My Mind

Hey folks- just a reminder, this is a blog. Wikipedia has this to say about blogs:

Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries... ... The ability of readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs.

My point is that I consider this blog not only an outreach tool, and an educational tool, but also a resource for starting community conversations. So I'd like to thank those of you who take the time to post comments.

And I appreciate those who have made comments to me in person. But I'd also like you to post your comments on the blog. Occasionally I'm hearing behind the scenes that someone disagrees with something I've said, or even that I've had information incorrect. That's fine, I welcome all the input I can get. I don't claim to know everything, or be an authority on much of anything. But instead of telling me one-to-one, how about just correcting it on the blog? That way everyone learns from your insight.

If you find my sarcasm disturbing, tell me that too. I was raised by sarcastic wolves and learned to communicate that way. It doesn't always translate in writing. But I've also found that if I post things generically, without comment or any personality, no one reads it, which defeats the purpose.

So use this forum to your advantage. Got something to say? Want to set me straight? Great!! I welcome your comments and the discussion that they will hopefully get started.

So go ahead- who wants to start?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word!

SRTC Staff said...

Uh thanks Anonymous... I think ;)

vanillajane said...

So, I have to disagree with some things you've just said, here. I think you DO know everything. I also like the fact that so many people decide to be nice and let you know they disagree with you in person, instead of on the blog, so as not to instigate an awkward professional silence that can last a decade.

Additionally, I believe your sarcasm is exactly what most people want to hear. In fact, in many cases, even if one doesn't agree with whatever it is you're presenting, it's the sarcasm that most people wish they could use in their everyday working lives, which satisfies them and keeps them from the emotional incentive to comment on your blogs. Yes, It's all in the psychology...

Oh, and as a footnote, I know for a fact you were raised by unicorns, not wolves, as you state.

SRTC Staff said...

Okay, hollyrockets, you're right about the unicorns, wrong about knowing everything, and right about the sarcasm. That makes you a winner overall.

As for an awkward professional silence, we're all professionals, or at least adults here. Or at least everyone else is. I'm not going to lie about myself. But the good news is that I'm (kind of) mature enough to take criticism.

All joking aside though, my job is to spread the word about transportation. I like to thing we're doing that here as I've heard from a lot of people that they check the blog out. So again, if you've got something to say about transportation, here's your chance.

Charles said...

Well it looks like a few people are reading this blog. Google Reader says there are more than 20 subscribers to SRTC and 9 to KMPO. I know from being a long time bulletin board person that most people here will just lurk and never leave a comment, but even so they will read it daily.:)omil

sewa mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.

SRTC Staff said...

Our numbers are okay Charles, according to the meter on the site. I'm working on some things to hopefully pull more people in, such as linking the blog to Facebook, etc. There are a lot of people at other local agencies who read the blog too, and I'd like to get to the point where they're comfortable posting so we can get even more info out there. Those folks are the experts in their fields so if they could weigh in when their projects are being questioned/criticized, etc. it might have more impact than I do.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.