Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Letter Writer Says Helmet Law Is To Make Money

Spokesman-Review Letter to the Editor
Helmets About Money

We don’t need government to tell us we must wear a helmet to ride a bike, skateboard or anything with wheels. We can decide for ourselves.

It’s just another way for them to write tickets for more revenue. If they want more revenue, they can make a law for pedestrians, people in walkers and wheelchairs to wear helmets.

If you get a traffic ticket, you now can go to court and pay more money to have the ticket go from a moving violation to a non-moving violation. It’s not about safety; it’s about money.

Gust Abariotes
Spokane Valley


Agree or disagree? Keep in mind the countywide bike helmet initiative is proposed by the Spokane Regional Health District, not County Commissioners.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Make money for who? The city has had the law for a couple of years and in my neighborhood I have not seen them even give a warning to the riders without a helmet.

SRTC Staff said...

Thanks for saying that @Charles. I thought it, but I am always saying 'it comes back to a lack of enforcement due to limited resources' so I thought I'd just leave that part off this time so I don't sound like a broken (and negative) record. It's true though. I see lots of people riding within the City without helmets and I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed.

vanillajane said...

I wear a helmet when I shop at the hardware store.

SRTC Staff said...

I wear a helmet in my office anymore these days. You just never know.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.