Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fido Doesn't Belong In The Driver Seat

I love my dog and all and she definetely goes in the car with me, but on my lap?? Never! Besides the fact that she's too big to be a lapdog, that would get in the way of texting, smoking, and playing with the radio. Just kidding, I don't do any of that while driving, but a new survey conducted by AAA says a LOT of dog owners drive with their dogs in their laps, and do some even more risky things.

Here's the article from the Coeur d'Alene Press. Take a look and let me know if you partake in any of these dangerous behaviors. I think the worst I've done is try to drive into a pole and kill us all one time when my emotionally unbalanced cat Bob mysteriously got out of his carrier during a car trip.

3 comments:

Charles said...

When I was young my parents had a Studebaker sedan, and we had a BIG German Shepard dog. In warm weather like now he would stand in the back seat with his head out one window and tail out opposite window. My mom said it was dangerous to drive with him as people would look at him and drive right at the car while looking at him. She never got hit but did not like driving with him in the car. :)

SRTC Staff said...

So where did you kids sit Charles, if the dog was in the back seat? We always sat in the way-back of the International Travelall, minus any kind of restraints of course, even if the backseat was open.

Charles said...

Well if I was lucky I got the front seat, but usually my big sister got the front seat. Sandy was big but very gentle with us kids, and so I shared the back seat with him. :)


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.