Thursday, August 5, 2010

Writer Complains About Bicyclists' Lack Of Visibility

Spokesman-Review Letter to the Editor
Bicylists should be seen

Though I haven’t for many years been on a bicycle, I applaud those who choose to do so for commuting, exercise and recreation, particularly when they obey the “laws of the road.” I do have one suggestion, however: That cyclists wear colorful clothing.

Recently, at dusk, mine was the first car at a local stop sign, about to turn right. On that particular corner, there are several political posters, a light standard and a utility pole. Just as I pulled out, a cyclist darted from the curb, amongst all that, and in front of me, wearing a helmet (that’s good!) and gray sweats. Fortunately, I saw him just in time.

City utility and private company construction workers are required to wear some neon reflective colors for their own visibility and safety. Cyclists should take the hint, whether it’s “cool” or not, and do likewise.

Janet Orr
Spokane


I think I'd of been more mad about the bicyclist jumping out in front of her from the curb, but I guess you have to choose your battles.

4 comments:

Charles said...

From what I have seen, helmets seem to make the kids worse bike riders, they dart in and out of parked cars, ride on the wrong side of the street, never stop for stop signs. I am not sure bright clothes would help, they need instruction on how to legally ride a bike on the streets.

SRTC Staff said...

We did all that stuff when I was a kid too, so agree that education is needed. Some schools are starting to do it in P.E. classes so that's a start. I don't think it's the helmet that causes them to be crazy though 'cause we never wore them as kids and were just as bad ;)

Charles said...

Yes but a lot fewer cars and since many of the streets in my neighborhood were not paved the huge potholes slowed the cars a lot. My dad went out with us showing us the way to ride on the right side, the hand signals, and the neighbors let our parents know if we did wrong. We did have several vacant lots to play on off the streets also.

SRTC Staff said...

We were on a dirt street too and the neighbors DEFINETELY let my parents know if we did something wrong, but my parents didn't teach us the basics of hand signals, etc. Now I wish they had, and that more parents would these days. Driving in residential neighborhoods in the summer makes me extremely paranoid with all the kids around.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.