Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Some Good Roadside Finds

In my neighborhood, we do a cleanup day each year where we divide up area roads and pick up trash along them. Our annual clean up day was this past Saturday and I had some pretty good finds, besides the usual beer cans and bottles, cigarette butts, and whipped cream canisters.

I compete with a couple of the other ladies to see who can find the most interesting discarded items. I think I won this year with that pair of Calvin Kleins, although for the life of me I can't figure out how you could lose your underwear along the side of the road. I also found a pair of 'Ferrari' brand fold-up sunglasses in a case and an Eagles CD.

The good news is that there was less trash than past years so maybe people are getting better about throwing out their junk.

Julie blogged that the weirdest thing she's found was this 'positive thinking' tape- and she still had it at home and sent me this picture.So what's the weirdest thing you've found on the side of the road?

6 comments:

Julie Lehman said...

My husband found a bowling ball. Once I found a "positive thinking" subliminal cassette tape.

SRTC Staff said...

That's WAY cooler than my tighty whities! Did he keep the bowling ball? Did you listen to the tape? Did you feel more positive afterwards? If so, can I borrow it?

Julie Lehman said...

Can't remember what happened to the bowling ball - that was years ago. But I did listen to the tape, which is how I became the emotionally fulfilled, dynamic woman I am today.

vanillajane said...

I heard someone threw a bowling ball off of Maple Street Bridge and it went through someone's roof in Peaceful Valley... Back in the day. It would be fun to drop a bowling ball in the river from up there.

Barb Chamberlain said...

I used to have an adopt-a-highway-mile segment of Hwy. 41 in Idaho just outside of Rathdrum heading toward Spirit Lake.

I once found an entire windshield--basically crushed but still holding together because of its anti-shatter properties. I don't know where the rest of the car was--no sign of a recent crash.

My observations at the time were that people who throw trash out the window drink cheap vodka (think Potter's, not Stoli), eat junk food (potato chips, not granola bars or trail mix), and smoke. They need a glove for only one hand and a sock for only one foot, because I found all the others.

I'm just glad I didn't learn anything about their rates of romantic success.

@BarbChamberlain

SRTC Staff said...

Your comment about 'romantic success' reminded me Barb that I found a love letter on Saturday! Ick!! I'm the least romantic person around and it literally made me squirm to read it but it's like a train wreck- you can't look away.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.