Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Citizen Voices Concern For Pedestrians Walking Under Browne Street Bridge

Have you walked under the Browne Street bridge between Sprague and Pacific downtown lately? I did a couple times last summer, but then I don't have a lot of common sense sometimes.

On his blog, Spokane City Councilman Jon Snyder writes about how a young man at this week's Council meeting voiced concerns about what goes on under the bridge. He cited violence, gang activity and litter as a couple examples. From personal experience, I've also seen evidence of drug activity, sexual activity, and a lot of urinating on the walls. Councilman Snyder goes so far as to call the area 'quite possibly one of the worst pedestrian experiences in the entire City' and asks why this decline has been allowed to happen in this area.

Read his blog post then let me know if you have any ideas for cleaning this area up. Or just general insights into the situation.

6 comments:

Not said...

I haven't urinated under that bridge, myself - in fact, I don't think I've been through there, except in a car. But I wonder, where are pedestrians (and bicyclists) supposed to urinate, downtown? Aren't park bathrooms locked except during the summer?
- Ventura

Anonymous said...

Walking across the maple street bridge is pretty bad too.

SRTC Staff said...

I'm not sure where the designated urination location is for folks who don't have a home or place of employment downtown. We partner with agencies that work with 'at risk' folks (no, I'm not implying bicyclists are 'at risk'). I'll see if they have an official recommendation on that. I'm guessing business restrooms get used a lot.

As far as the Maple Street Bridge, it's been years since I walked across it but I do remember the trash on it. I had a hard time concentrating on that though because you could actually feel the bridge swaying, something you can't feel when you drive over it.

Ali said...

This is for dudes: Can't you just go in the river if you really have to? Seems more sanitary and then you can hang out under the bridge without the urine smell.

SRTC Staff said...

Any suggestions for us womenfolk Ali?

Ali said...

That's a tough one, I guess we have to either hold it or find a decent port-a-potty. Personally, I've gotten lucky and found some nice bushes to hind behind.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.