Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My North Spokane Corridor Field Trip

It took me a while but I finally drove the North Spokane Corridor for the first time today. You'd think I would have gotten up there sooner but my government tracking bracelet doesn't let me get out of the office as much as I used to.

I get a lot of people asking me about the NSC because they haven't had occasion to drive it yet, so here's my report: I liked it. Yep, it was nice smooth pavement and had
several elements that I like; a roundabout, a trail for bicyclists and pedestrians, big electronic signs, and artwork. What more can you ask for in a transportation project?

One of my co-workers congratulated me on being one of the dozens to have driven the NSC, but I actually thought there was a decent amount of traffic today for a freeway that is just over four miles long at this point.
That could be because of the recent NSC/US 2 interchange opening that makes it easy to transition between the two highways. It still doesn't have the traffic counts of I-90 of course, but it's
expected to pick up when the NSC/Parksmith Road Interchange is completed in fall of 2012.

Until then, you can look at these pictures I took today. And don't worry, my stunt double was driving.

2 comments:

Cheryl Stewart said...

I can't believe this is your first time on it! Won't it be wonderful when it's finished :-)

SRTC Staff said...

I know, I'm wondering now what I've been doing with my time. It will be great when it's done, especially for the semis and big trucks. Saw many of them on the freeway yesterday.


About SRTC

SRTC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Spokane County. Urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people are required to have an MPO. SRTC was formed to address the county's transportation planning needs. It provides coordination in planning between the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and tribes.

SRTC offers services including transportation monitoring, transportation modeling, census information analysis, travel demand forecasting, historical traffic count analysis, geographic information systems, and trip generation rates.